20 Oct 2011

a quilt for the little'un


my latest crafty project for the little'un is this cheery circle quilt. At first I wasn't sure what quilt design to do - all I knew was that I wanted it to be bright and whimsical, not overly girly or boyish (because we're waiting till birth to know if this loved child is a he or she), and that I could use the relatively small bundle of scraps and offcuts I had with me. I think it was on google that I came across photos of this wonderful quilt - and a tutorial to go with on constructing the circles.

the quilt is quite little - about a metre square. my circles are a bit "unique"- but they are so bright and lovely. The wadding is a second hand cotton blanket my mum sent me and the backing is soft-as-a-lamb cotton flannel a dear friend sent for the babe. So you could say this quilt truly is a mosaic of old and new. I quilted with cotton thread around each circle in simple small stitches. Across the bottom I embroidered a message, accompanied by a few tears and many smiles. truly, I can't wait to watch the babe stretch out and sleep and roll on it...
p.s. alex crafted this little time lapse film of me making the final touches to the message. at the end the baby started kicking, a mark of approval I think!

14 comments:

  1. This is so pretty Emily! Your little 'un is going to love it!

    You must be so bright and beaming at the moment, it's all so exciting!

    P.S I think your circles have tons of character ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Rebecca :) here's to circles with character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the message on the blanket made me teary too. it's really special em, something that baby can keep for a lifetime!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. This makes me smile so much!

    I have a baby quilt from my Aunty Maureen and I treasure it so much - as will yours.

    And that video makes me smile so so much...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm absolutly sure you little'un will love to snuggle in this!

    What a life he/she will have!

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so lovely and cheery and delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this little quilt and can't wait to see it wrap up your little 'un whose already so loved and blessed to have such a special mum and dad1 xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear! That is rather heavenly! All of it.

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous!! love the quilt for your bubs and the time lapse :)
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt. I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily, this is amazing! So beautiful and unique and full of love. That's one lucky bubba :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. busy girl!! I love it. I hope I can get so busy over the next three months. First gotta get past the morning sickness bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! You are a beautiful woman! I can't wait to see your little babe when he/she arrives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.